Monday, April 25, 2011

Puzzle Pieces

I recently have acquired a new housemate. This transition was actually quite terrifying for me. But like the new book I am reading (and highly recommend), Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard  says,

"Most things are not nearly so appalling in actual fact as they are in anticipation".

It's suppose to just be until August so it's a nice baby step for me. In reality, it's been really amazing to learn how to "do life" with someone else. To give a little, to learn a little, to be more selfless, and to just have someone to share your day with when you come home.
(Kimberly moving in to the spare bedroom, or her bedroom, rather)
(Oh hey, it's our one week anniversary as housemates!)



That quote is how I've been feeling about lot of old fears, including living with someone again. But this move-in has proved to be one of the best learning experiences. Said housemate is everything I am not; super organized, solid, consistent, and responsible. Not to say I am not sometimes those things, but for her, that is her core. She is the solid, I am the flight-that's how it goes (and it works well for us).

My new housemate and I have also picked up a new hobby-doing puzzles. (We are hoping whatever puzzle we are working on will become a sort of center of the room, communal puzzle where everyone contributes!) But, I know what you are thinking. If you are anything like me your brain has immediately plugged "doing puzzles" into your granny-like-schema. I have to tell you, you don't know what you are missing.


Through this activity I have learned several things:
  • Your puzzle partners victories are your victories.
-Many times we both yelled together when parts we had been working on for a long time came together. Even though it was her section, I was super excited. This was different for me, normally I'm super competitive. It was really nice to work alongside someone and enjoy in their victories as much as mine.

  • Your puzzle partner has strengths where you have weaknesses (Believe it or not, you may have a weakness!)
--My housemate is really good at finding missing pieces I cannot. She can see angles that I can't see and has enough balls to push pieces together when I am too timid. And normally, she's right!

  • Doing puzzles is ADHD heaven 
-If you are anything like me and have ADHD tendencies, puzzles are a magnificent way to have conversations and watch movies while your brain and hands simultaneously create puzzle magic. (Wizzam!)
    • Lastly, Jesus talks like crazy to me through cardboard puzzles.
    -This one was huge. I kept thinking about so many life concepts. Examples:
    1-Don't force puzzle pieces together. They may look like they fit, they may have some of the right colors, but it just doesn't fit no matter how hard you push and bend.
    2-Learn when to set a section down and look at a different part of the puzzle. You gain perspective.
    3-When doing a puzzle, you group colors together first. You have NO IDEA what it's gonna look like. You just start sectioning off parts of the puzzle (Letting go of having it all figured out is super hard for someone like me).


    4-Eventually, once you have sections grouped, you match a few together and things start to make sense.

    I realize doing puzzles for everyone will not be a life-changing, metaphor creating, housemate bonding experience. But for me...it was. And it's funny that I should pick up this particular hobby now, when I feel like more than ever I'm finding all my lost puzzle pieces and gathering them back up.

    All of that loquaciousness to say, I'm learning to let the puzzle pieces fall into place. I'm learning to trust in the One who already sees the whole puzzle. I'm learning to rejoice in the victories of people around me. I'm learning to let other people contribute their part of the puzzle. I'm learning to start with babysteps. And someday...it all will fall into place!
      (In case you were wondering I said the word "puzzle" 18, now 19, times)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment