Monday, June 20, 2011

Myriad, Petty, Unsexy Ways.

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different. (from Prince Caspian by C S Lewis)

It's so true that all the little moments, small decisions, countless times you do the right thing (or wrong thing)...all add up.
That while you are in the midst it doesn't seem like these things will have the ripple effect they do, they will.
We are short-sighted. Blinded sometimes by the impact our decisions, thoughts, and choices make.
Because we all know if we donate a million dollars to something, it will have an effect.
Or if we get married, it will change things.
But...what about the other "stuff".
The stuff that makes up the other 90% of our days, our lives?

These moments I'm talking about arn't exactly exciting or rewarding.
The "highs" are great and the "new" is refreshing but most of your life is determined by how well you handle the boring, the seemingly unimportant, the ordinary moments, and your determination to really commit to the things that are not, at least at that time, "exciting".

I'm reminded of this everyday when I leave my house.
My friend Mary Kate put a post-it note by my door-I read it everyday before I leave.
It says something so simple but really powerful
Go Change The World.
And that sign does not play favorites. It says it everyday. It says the same thing when I walk out of my house on days I later feel like I made huge impacts in people's lives, on days I just let someone budge me in line, and even on the days I'm super self-absorbed or rude. But everyday I'm changing the world just the same. And maybe I'm just crazy enough to believe that's true?

David Foster Wallace (I know, I'm obsessed. But this guy speaks to my soul, ha!) talks about this idea as a type of freedom. He says, "This kind of freedom has much to recommend it. But there are all different kinds of freedom, and the kind that is most precious you will not hear much talked about in the great outside world of winning and achieving and displaying. The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day. That is real freedom.

I don't wanna miss those moments. Mess up those moments.
I want to have integrity and decency in the small moments responding to crazy Rochester drivers, a needy student, Wegman's line budgers, or just anonymous acts of kindness as I do in the spotlight. There are much more opportunities for the former throughout my day-and my response to each makes up my person and change everyone else's lives around me.

Maybe the problem is we don't really think our lives impact others.
But everyday I'm learning more and more...that it does.
Whether we like it or not.
For the better or for the worse.

And make no mistake,
when you look back,
all those moments add up...
and they made all the difference.

xoxo,
mp

No comments:

Post a Comment