Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Safe Compass

But it ain’t our feelings we have to steer by through life—no, no we’d make shipwreck mighty often if we did that. There’s only the one safe compass and we’ve got to set our course by that—what it’s right to do. (from Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery)

Sometimes, I forget the most basic principles. 
Sometimes, the Bible is so practical and wise.
Sometimes, I just do things my way.

I don't want to always live by emotions or feelings. They change so quickly.
I want to base my life on what's right, fully believing God is GOOD and not holding out on me.
Because let's face it, when we really die to ourselves and lay down all of what we want and think we need...does He not every time take care of us?

When I am afraid I will trust in You, the Rock that is higher.
I will not build my life upon the passing sands
Of how I feel inside from one moment to the next
But I will love you Lord, my Rock, my God, my Strength
A precious cornerstone that floods of death can never shake

I let go of my reasoning and fall upon the Rock that is higher. 
-Laura Hackett, When I Am Afraid

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 instructs us to, "walk in His ways, to love Him, to serve Him with our whole heart and soul, and to observe His commands that He's giving us for our own good"

Ha, that was funny when I read it.
He's not trying to make us miserable. He doesn't just want a whole bunch of little human minions. 
He's not some meanie who cannot be trusted.
These guidelines, these instructions, these times He says wait or no...it's for our own good.
Just maybe, He really did create the universe and all that's in it.
Just maybe, He might know a little better than us.
Just maybe, His perspective is a bit larger than ours.
Just maybe, He really does care for us.

And it will pay off.
What we sow, we really do reap.
A life-long time of bad decisions really does reap a certain type of life.
I've seen it.
A life-long time of hard but good decisions really does reap a certain type of life.
I've seen that, too.

(Source)
And it's been in the Word since I started reading it.
The whole time.
Why do I keep forgetting?
Galatians 6:7-8 in the message says,
"What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds. All he'll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God's Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life" 

So, there it is. A promise that what we're doing right now WILL pay off. That it matters when you chose what's right. And normally that means not going with your rushing emotions. And sometimes, you will be in a season when you're reaping. When you are able to receive the fruit for all your hard work. And sometimes, you're just in a season of farming, of plowing, of sowing. Sometimes, in those seasons, you won't see the fruit for a long time.

Ecclesiastes 3:7 says specifically that there is, "a right time to plant and another to reap".

I don't want to try and reap before it's time.

All of this has made me want to learn about farming.
I'm going to be doing a woofing program with a farmer I know from the farmer's market.
I think God has some stuff He wants to teach me about all of this.

Until then I'm going to try and:
1-Not rush seasons
2-Realize good decisions will pay off
3-Not react out of emotions or what I think I want
4-Trust that He is good and not holding out on me

I don't want a fruit that's not ripe yet. And I don't want to get lazy and not plant.
And I want my life to not be shipwrecked by my emotions.
I want to do it because it's the right thing to do.
Whatever that thing is.

xoxo,
mp


 PS-Sometimes feelings say God isn't near. That you are distant from Him. This, maybe more than anything, is when it's the most crucial to keep on going. The truth says that nothing can separate you, that He will never leave you, and scripture shows He has done nothing but pursue you will everlasting love. So fight the feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment