Saturday, March 19, 2011

Send it Up with a Balloon

If you are anything like me you have, many times, found yourself inside a cyclone of vicious cycles made up of self-imposed expectations that are quickly followed by disappointments.
That's my brain.
At least, until now.
My friend recently let me burrow one of her books we found during a Barnes & Noble "Literary Adventure" (Sitting and reading your respective books and sharing quotes is a good way to spend a Friday night, try it!). It's entitled "Last One Down the Aisle Wins" by Shannon Fox and Celeste Liversidge.

Inside this book of many treasures, at approximately page 103, was a novel idea entitled,
The Sometimes-It's-Okay-to-Give-Up-Hope-Experience.
Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking what I thought at first, too. What a defeatist attitude! It's not at all that. Sometimes we carry around unrealistic expectations of ourselves and of others. We refuse to let go of them and the result is that we are tied down to them and to the emotions that are connected. We create ideas of perfection, we strive, and we end up in a puddle of tears; devastated and exhausted.
Here are the instructions:
1-Write your "wishes" for yourself and others on an index card. If it helps, start with "I wish..."
(Example: I wish I was thinner, I wish I could be a perfect teacher, I wish my mom would stop criticizing my appearance, I want to not make mistakes, I need to have everyone like me)
They advise you to write as many cards as you need to. Now is not the time to hold back.
2-Tie these cards to a helium-filled balloon and go to a nice, peaceful location (Park, backyard,beach)
3-Say each card out loud before letting it go
4-As it floats away...really focus on letting that unrealistic desire of yourself or someone else in your life float away with it

I, for one, am going to buy some index cards, balloons, and find a nice park. Between the standards of perfection I hold for myself and other people...I'll need to start stocking up on cards now. I'll let you know how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment