Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Health Care

So, I'm uneasy writing about my feelings on health care (or politics/international affairs/etc). I don't by any means want this to become a forum to pontificate. So instead, I wanted to address this more as an experience I had. Make no mistake, I definitely have an opinion about it. However, I also don't consider myself an expert on the intricate details of government policies. I realize there isn't a silver bullet. I realize it's been paved by a lot of corruption and self-interest. But I, like many others, am just trying to wade my way through the mess and come to a conclusion that's just. I guess the angle I am coming at this with is more of a 25 year old, single, female who got really sick one day.
(Whew.)

I want to confess something. I am an over-privileged, Caucasian, female who has never appreciated health care before. How could I really understand it's value? I am rarely sick and when I am, it's quickly remedied. A few weeks ago, I realized how much of a basic need and right health care is.

I'm a little stubborn (all confessions are pouring out). I became sick, thought I could fight it off, waited too long to take care of congestion, and ended up with an ear ache/tooth ache/pretty nasty sinus infection (that could have just been a head cold). It's not like I was lately removed from a gall bladder. But you'd be surprised how scary a seemingly small thing like a sinus infection can be.

And there I was smack dab in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. I was desperate. I was feeling awful. I needed to see a physician.

Luckily, I have a new housemate to help me out while I was a hot mess looking through google for urgent care. (Here comes confession # 3) I chose the one in Victor. That must be "safe", right? So there I am, eyes closed in the passenger seat driving to Victor's Urgent Care, using Kimberly's windshield sun shade as an eye protector, head pounding, tooth hurting, and miserable.

And it's about this time I realized just how lucky I was.
I didn't worry about whether or not they would take my health insurance. My health insurance is fantastic.
I didn't worry about health insurance at all. I'm not one of the 47 million Americans without insurance.

But I was at the mercy of urgent care,
Thrown amidst a world of paperwork and cold receptionists (how dramatic sounding).
I was cattle.
Pushed through the doors, quickly inspected, and even more quickly pumped full of antibiotics.
And listen, I'm grateful for it all.
I'm definitely not complaining.

But I realized how special my mom is. She is one of those nurses who meets you in the waiting room at your time of crisis on a Sunday afternoon, warm smile and big hug.

My nurse wasn't like that.
But at least I had a nurse.
At least I had urgent care.
At least I had a prescription.
At least I had health insurance.
At least I had a car to get to Wegman's.
At least I had a Wegman's (everyone should have a Wegman's).

And in the middle of this juxtaposition; feeling so lucky and so frustrated, I got my prescription 15 minutes later.
Copay?: 0 dollars.

What if I was a 25 year old, separated, mother of 5, living alone with the same symptoms, no vehicle, and no health insurance.

I really appreciate health care. But, it's hard not to feel guilty. Maybe guilty is the wrong thing to feel. But in a world where there's a dearth of empathy...I'd rather feel guilty than nothing.
And more importantly, in addition to feeling something, I really want to DO something. 
Without getting bitter.
With a level head.
With character and integrity.
But with passion.

So what do we do?
(let me know if you figure it out.)

Just something I've been thinking about...
xoxo,
mp


2 comments:

  1. I agree
    very much so
    I have health insurance that I pay $1K per year for and it covers hardly anything
    but brockport requires it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a pretty complex issue. I hear you!

    ReplyDelete