Sunday, May 1, 2011

Palm It.

Happy May 1st! I love the beginning of each month. It feels like a fresh start.

Here is a quick lesson I learned yesterday while a few friends and I took a walk in this wonderful weather;
you can only do it if you lean on someone else.

My new housemate showed me a trick. We were walking on the railings together, both flopping and falling off, arms outstretched like a bird trying to maintain our balance. The funny thing is, we really couldn't do it. I was stubborn, though. I kept trying because surely I could muscle my way through it or acquire the skills necessary to learn how. Jokes on me.

Just then she tells me to stretch out my arm, as she did with hers, and said to me "palm it".

It's called weight-sharing. Get this; the idea is...you share the weight (ha). It creates an easier sense of balance.

So arms stretched out, palms pushed together, we slowly started walking on opposite ends of the track.

And you know what? It worked. We walked. It was so easy. And it was fun.

I learn a lot from the "silly little things". God uses those to teach me really big lessons more than anything else.

So, thank you everyone in my life that frequently practices this with me.  This weekend (or for life, rather)- palm it.

No comments:

Post a Comment